IBNE HASSAN – Managing Partner
Ph.D., King’s College London, United Kingdom
FCA, Fellow Member of the Institute of Chartered Accountants of Pakistan
- One of very few Chartered Accountants, who earned PhD degree.
- Author of Book “Evaluating Companies for Mergers and Acquisitions” published by Emerald UK, and of research articles on International Business.
- Author of research articles published in international refereed academic journals.
- Reviewer of research articles for different journals.
- Working as a Research Associate with King’s College, London (KCL) on different research projects.
- Business development financial consultant with extensive experience in financial as well as accounting advisory services.
- Extensive experience of over two decades, as a Senior Partner in practicing Chartered Accountancy Firm, carrying out assignments pertaining to Audit, Corporate, Taxation, Business valuation, mergers and acquisitions, system designing and implementation, credit risk advisory, feasibilities studies and projects appraisals and running self-established practicing Chartered Accountancy Firm since more than eleven years as a Managing Partner.
- Carried out investigation assignments of national repute, engaged by the Hon’able High Court and Securities and Exchange Commission of Pakistan (SECP).
- Experience of working as an Auditor of Bank of Bangladesh (Central Bank of Bangladesh) for system audit.
- Experience of working as a financial consultant on projects related to The World Bank, World Health Organization, USAID and GTZ.
- Well versed with the latest technologies regarding financial management, system development and implementation.
Mr. Ibne Hassan received a degree of Doctor of Philosophy (Ph.D.) in Management Studies specializing in International Business by King’s College London, United Kingdom in 2013.
He also holds the position of Managing Partner of his own established firm UHY Hassan Naeem & Co., Chartered Accountants (UHY HNCO) and has achieved remarkable milestones throughout his professional career. After qualifying as a Chartered Accountant in 1989, he worked as Senior Partner in a leading Chartered Accountancy firm until 2006 and then, in same year, established UHY HNCO (www.uhy-hnco.com), a member of UHY International having presence in over 100 countries with over 350 offices all over the world. In Pakistan, UHY HNCO has presence in three major cities and ranked among top firms, as per revenue data released by Federal Board of Revenue (FBR).
As a faculty member of Institute of Chartered Accountants of Pakistan (ICAP), Academy of Professional Accountants (largest institution in professional education in Pakistan) he has also been involved in teaching, professional classes of Chartered Accountants and taught business accounting, business strategies, decision-making and financial management accounting.
He has vast experience of doing research in international business independently as well as with renowned international scholars. As a management consultant, his expertise includes restructuring of organizations, designing of system and operational procedures for wide range of industrial and service sectors. He is also specialized in corporate financing and business process reengineering, and has completed, up till now, several financial and economical feasibilities and market research for vast range of services and manufacturing sectors. He has also successfully completed corporate financing projects worth more than billion rupees (PKR).
He remained engaged with various consultancy and financial advisory assignments funded by donor agencies like World Bank, USAID, WHO related different government departments.
He got the honor to carry out different national reputable investigation assignments on behalf of High Court and Securities and Exchange Commission of Pakistan. During such assignments, He has been appointed as arbitrator and investigating officer to verify the business affairs of the companies as well as government departments involved in different fields of business. These included Taj Co. LTD (largest publishing house in Pakistan engaged in ponzi scheme involving public money), Cooperative societies (providing finance to small and medium size businesses), Forex investment companies (running a ponzi scheme involving public money) etc.
Since the start of his career, He has been involved in the statutory audits of public listed as well as private limited companies, having operations spread all over Pakistan and turnover ranging over billion of rupees. His services also include improvement of reporting functions of business organizations through introduction of internal controls and internal audit services.
His corporate and taxation expertise ranges over a period of more than 30 plus years in which he has conducted numerous corporate statutory cases as well as assisted in individual and corporate taxation matters.
Client Sector Specialties
Dr. Hassan specializes in the following client sectors:
- Construction/Real Estate
- Electric Appliances
- Food & Allied
- General Merchandisers
- Government Organization
- Leather & Tanneries
- Oil & Gas
- Sugar & Allied
- Textile Sector
- Technology & Communication
- Hospitality Sector
His professional services include a wide range of areas wherein he led the way among the entire competitive environment.
- Organizational Restructuring
Has completed different projects of organizational restructuring with excellence of appreciation by the client and my team members. In projects, relating to organizational restructuring, my services include suggesting financial as well as business opportunity solutions and proposing organizational reformation to government and private companies as well. Those recently carried out are: Restructuring of Punjab Small Industries Corporation (PSIC) , a Government organization established for the support and growth of cottage, small and medium size industries in the province of Punjab, under World Bank Jobs & Competitiveness Program for Results in the year 2017; and Capacity Assessment and Restructuring of functions, organizational structure and human resource of Extended Program of Immunization (EPI) in Pakistan funded by World Health Organization, GAVI, USAID and World Bank, carried out in 2018.
- Corporate Financing
Dr. Hassan has been involved in the corporate financing of different projects in which he has successfully negotiated the terms and conditions of the clients’ requirements with the financing and investing institutes.
- Crisis Management
He has also been offered arbitration work by the Government Agencies/Courts, which has resulted in the development of a special niche in the field of alternative dispute resolution.
He has acted as arbitrators and third-party mediators in commercial disputes involving large size companies and groups division of large size family business. This included restructuring of loans of sick units with the financial institutions as well as restructuring of firms including government owned organizations.
- Commercial & Market Due Diligence
His expertise also includes supervising assignments regarding commercial & market due diligence which are supported by my dedicated industry knowledge and broad geographical reach.
Understanding of specific markets has allowed me to assess assumptions and projections and provide efficient, cost-effective services in a timely manner. My services for commercial and market due diligence include market research, market feasibilities and market penetration. The services were mainly provided to the clients in the retail sector covering apparels, food & confectionary, hotels and educational institutions.
- Financial Management System Designing & Development
His portfolio of professional career also includes system designing for financial management manuals of different companies ranging from textiles to government departments and oil & gas sector to hospitality and banking sector.
He has the honor to supervise all the distinctive stages of the System Development Life Cycle, during the process of Financial Management System development projects.
- Financial Policies and Procedures
Development and designing of financial policies and procedures, for the financial management of the company’s operations is one of the core strong holds of my professional career. This included number of companies engaged in different sectors like sugar, textile, electronics and hospitality etc.
- Business Evaluation & Appraisals
Having rich experience in the field of business evaluations and project appraisals for restructuring transactions including Mergers and Acquisitions pertaining to different sectors including textile, dairy, financial institution, sugar industry, construction and services. Prominent among them are; Pakistan International Airline subsidiary – Abacus Limited – established in joint venture with foreign investors, Joharabad Sugar Mills Limited, Dara us Salam Textile Mills Limited, and five-star hotel & business complex project of EOBI (Government organization dealing with employment benefits of employees in private and public sector).
- Merger & Acquisition Advisory
He has been actively involved in privatizations assignments and has advice clients on taking advantage of privatization opportunities. His deep industry knowledge has help companies identify other businesses that offer a good strategic fit and has assisted them with acquisitions, mergers and alliances that allow them to maintain and build their competitive advantage.
Moreover, he works closely with clients in private equity helping them to make merger and acquisitions transactions. The extent of his national reach and the depth of his relationships mean that he can frequently spot opportunities for private equity investment and assembles the teams they need on the ground.
- Modeling and Business Planning
His economic skills to provide clients with clear insights into the markets that they wish to enter, over the past years has enhance their ability to execute a successful product launch. His approach is driven by client’s individual commercial objectives thus providing “top-down” analysis that considers broad economic factors to build a model of market demand and revenue forecast. Additionally, he has been involved in the financial business planning for the new ventures taken up by leading private and public listed companies.
- Financial Feasibilities
Dr. Hassan holds among the top of the list name in the areas of feasibilities studies and project financing. He specializes in preparing feasibilities studies of different industries as well as service sectors from almost all sectors of the business.
He has on his name some of the famous landmark projects, wherein he has provided his services by preparing feasibility studies and arranging project financing from different financing and investing institutes worth more than billion rupees.
INVESTIGATION AND DUE DILIGENCE
- Investigation and Forensic Audit
One of the key areas, where Dr. Hassan also specializes, is the investigation and forensic audit. He has completed with high honors different assignments regarding the investigation of public limited companies and private limited companies.
He has the honor to be recommended as investigator in the business as well as financial affairs of different companies by the Honorable High Court, Securities and Exchange Commission of Pakistan, Banks and Government of Pakistan.
- Financial Due Diligence
His experience for providing financial due diligence services includes enhancing the buyer’s understanding of the target business and therefore increasing the likelihood of the deal achieving its objectives. Helping buyers to identify and understand critical success factors so that informed acquisition decisions can be made.
- Audit & Assurance Services
He has significant expertise in the field of Audit and Assurance Services, which includes statutory audits of Public listed companies as well as private limited companies having balance sheet footing of more than billions.
Since the start of his career, he has been actively involved in the statutory audits of companies pertaining to the different sectors.
- Internal Audit
Dr. Hassan has assisted organizations that need help in improving the quality and effectiveness of their internal audit processes in a number of ways. By advising and assisting in the development of internal audit and risk management methodologies, including assessing whether the internal audit function is delivering effectively to stakeholders.
CORPORATE AND TAXATION
- Corporate Matters
His expertise in the field of corporate matters ranges over two decades, as he has been involved in the public listing of companies, compliance of corporate reporting and advisory services for the prospectus and public issues related assignments. He has a special niche for the matters relating to the Company Laws and Ordinances.
His clients’ sector regarding the prospectus and assistance in public issues under the public company advisory includes Textile Company and leasing company.
He also holds a valuable experience towards tax consultancy and matters relating to corporate as well as individual taxation matters.
PROFESSIONAL CONTRIBUTIONS & POSITIONS HELD
Dr. Hassan has also professionally contributed towards the advancement and enhancement of profession as well as significantly contributed towards the professional education.
- Academy of Management (AOM)
- Academy of International Business (AIB)
- European International Business Academy (EIBA)
- Fellow member of the Institute of Chartered Accountants of Pakistan (ICAP)
- Certified Director under Director Education Program of Pakistan Institute of Corporate Governance (PICG), 2016.
Positions of Trust
- Member of the Board of Directors of PPL Asia – incorporated in UK
- Member of the Board of Directors of PPL Europe – incorporated in Holland
- Chairman of Board Audit Committee of Pakistan Petroleum Limited (PPL)
- Member of the Board Strategy and Procurement Committees of Pakistan Petroleum Limited (PPL)
- Former member of Senate of the Pakistan Institute of Fashion and Design (PIFD), Lahore
- Former Chairman Board of Director Pakistan Petroleum Limited (PPL).
- Former Director of Lahore Electric Supply Company Limited (LESCO) – (2014-2016)
Book: Hassan, I., Ghauri, P. (2014). Evaluating companies for mergers and acquisitions. Bingley: Emerald Group Publishing.
Articles: Hassan, I., Chidlow, A., & Romero-Martínez, A. M. (2016). Selection, valuation and performance assessment: Are these truly inter-linked within the M&A transactions? International Business Review, 25(1), 255-266.
Hassan, I., Ghauri, P. N., & Mayrhofer, U. (2018). Merger and acquisition motives and outcome assessment. Thunderbird International Business Review, 60(4), 709-718.
Hassan, I., & Ghauri, P. N., (2018). Undoing the unwise: Creating successful demerger out of failed merger. International Business Review, (under review).
Hassan, I., (2019) ‘Holistic approach: Restructuring a government owned organization’. International Business Review, (under review).
International Conferences Attended
- Nexia International Annual Conference, Athens, Greece – 1997
- Nexia International Annual Conference, Amsterdam, Netherlands – 2000
- UHY International Annual Conference, Singapore – 2007
- UHY International Annual Conference, Madrid, Spain – 2008
- UHY International Annual Conference, Santiago, Chile – 2009
- UHY International Annual Conference, Auckland, New Zealand – 2010
- UHY International Annual Conference, London, UK – 2011
- UHY International Annual Conference, Chicago, USA – 2012
- UHY international Annual Conference, Shanghai, China – 2013
- AIB (Academy of International Business) Annual Meeting, Vancouver, Canada – 2014
- CIMaR (Consortium for International Marketing Research) Conference, Vienna, Austria – 2015
- AOM (Academy of Management) Annual Meeting, Atlanta, Georgia, USA – 2017
- EIBA (European International Business Academy) 43th Conference, Milan, Italy – 2018
- EIBA (European International Business Academy) 44th Conference, Poznań, Poland – 2018